FREE SCHOOL MEALS – HOW TO APPLY
Parents and carers can now apply for free school meals online via the Citizen Portal, using the link below. Your eligibility will be checked online, and the portal will let you know whether your child is eligible for free school meals. If your child is eligible you will receive a confirmation message, and the school will be notified directly. If you are not eligible you will be presented with a message stating this.
Please note, if you have already completed a primary or secondary school place application for the 2017/18 academic year via the portal, you do not need to re‑register when applying for free school meals. Please use the login details that you have already set up.
Apply for free school meals online
More about Free School Meals
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for your child to receive free school meals, if you receive:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based – not contribution based)
- Child Tax Credit (but NOT entitled to Working Tax Credit) and your annual income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue, does not exceed £16,190 pa
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- The ‘Guaranteed Element’ of Pension Credit
If you meet any of the above criteria then download the FSM Application Form
Will it be awkward for my child?
Your child will have their meal along with everyone else and the office will keep a record.
What’s in it for parents?
- Your child gets good food up to the value of £400 in a school year
- No need to find lunch money every morning
- No need to make a packed lunch every day
What’s in it for students?
- The food is good and there is a variety of meals to choose from
- Registering for Free School Meals can bring additional funding for your child’s education
How do I claim?
You can either call the Children & Young People Information Service on 01454 262002 for an application form or download it from the link above.
You can also telephone the office on 01454 865340 to ask for an application form.
Complete the application form and return it, with proof of your eligibility, directly to South Gloucestershire Council or to New Horizons Learning Centre.
Your proof of eligibility can be either:
- A letter from Jobcentre Plus, showing that you receive Income Support or Job Seeker’s Allowance (income based) and dated within the last three months.
- A copy of your TC602 renewal notice 2011 – 2012 (valid if you have an income under £16,190.00 and DO NOT receive Working Tax Credit).
- A copy of your ‘Pension Credit M1000 Award Notice’ showing that you are in receipt of the ‘Guaranteed element’ of Pension Credit.
- A copy of your letter (listing all children) from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS) confirming that you receive support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- A bank statement, not more than three months old, showing your name, address and which benefit you are receiving.
South Gloucestershire Council will send you a letter, informing you if your application has been approved